WAITLIST FOR HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM
CLOSED AS OF JANUARY 21, 2022
Housing Choice Voucher Program
The housing choice voucher program (Section 8 Rental Assistance) is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families – including the elderly and the disabled – to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Our program covers all of Washington County, Arkansas except for Springdale.
How does it work?
- The Fayetteville Housing Authority receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program locally.
- Families with vouchers are responsible for finding a suitable home where the owner agrees to rent under the program.
- Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety as determined by the Fayetteville Housing Authority.
- The housing choice may include single-family homes, townhouses or apartments. It may include the family’s current residence.
- A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the Fayetteville Housing Authority on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.